We stick to chicken and fish the majority of the time, but it’s nice to switch it up with red meat once in a while. Here is a clean version of burgers that you can make when you fire up the grill this weekend. Make sure to serve sans-bun or over a leaf of lettuce to keep it clean!
1 lb. Italian sausage
1 lb. Ground beef
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup red pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Toppings and Garnish
1 small to medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks
1 TB cooking oil (olive oil or coconut oil)
1/2 – 1 cup caramelized onions
large lettuce leaves
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Melt cooking oil in a large, rimmed baking dish. Add butternut squash and toss gently to coat.
Bake for 20 minutes or until soft.
3. Process in a food processor until pureed. – NOTE: This can all be done in advance.
4. While squash is cooking, preheat grill to medium high. Mix sausage and ground beef in a large bowl until well combined.
5. Add garlic, onion, red pepper, egg, and red pepper flakes. Stir with a spoon or use your hands to thoroughly combine. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Divide mixture into 6 patties. Drizzle each side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
7. Grill burgers and serve topped with pureed squash and caramelized onions (see photo above).
Let us know if you try this at home. Also – share your favorite clean-eating burger recipe below.
This recipe is from The Paleo Table.